Friday, October 07, 2005

Is There A Euphemism For Lazy?

Sometimes I just want to pull the covers over my head and give up.
I just finished a novel by Nevil Shute called "A Town Like Alice"
which is about a couple of lovers living in the outback of Australia.
It is a touching novel and I recommend it to those who like uplifting
stories. The problem came when I finished the end of the novel
and turned to the blurb on the back where the CV of the author
is laid out. This is the place where the publishers will tell you about
the author, his accomplishments and where he lives (if he still does).
In this case the blurb told me that Nevil Shute had built his own
airplane engineering company, fought in WWII, and then wrote
over 20 novels before dying at 60. So here we have a man who's
done huge things and written 20 books and he died when he was
about fifteen years older than I am now. I've yet to finish my
first novel, am terribly lazy and never fought in any war or started
any business (which succeeded). I feel like the slug I am.
The lazy nature of me and the lack of a mark which my life has
left upon the world indicts me. I want to go back to sleep.

I am tired of being the slow lazy dog of life... but not enough to
actually do anything about it...

Depressing, yes? Aw well... there's always cable TV...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sam...I know that feeling.All too well in fact.In the last few weeks I've been working on changing my attitude.My negative thought process.I tell myself every waking day that "this IS going to be a good day".Even as I see the challenges ahead and things aren't going as expected...
Works for me.
*Peace*

9:25 AM  
Blogger S.A.M. Tanner said...

Thanks... I find that if I remember to eat the Elephant one bite at a time, it gets easier.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
amazon.com