Saturday, November 05, 2005

Phone Calls From Nowhere

I'm getting those strange phone calls where no-one speaks when the answering machine comes on. Instead I get two or three seconds of silence and then the caller hangs up. I could use "Star 69" and find out who's calling but I think I already know. I know and I'm pretty sure that I am best not to talk to someone who isn't willing to leave a message.

Of course you can ask me why I am screening my incoming calls but to answer that I have to explain the paranoid/depressed state I'm in and the one or two people who I don't want to speak to without warning...

It's not that I don't want to speak to anyone, but I don't want to talk without warning. I want people to start to talk into the answering machine so I can decide whether to talk to them or not. I know it's not fair, I'm screening people and not being nice. But considering those who have called in the recent past and some of the e-mails I've received, it might be a good idea not to answer the phone right now. Maybe it is better to just hide.



I can say that until whoever's calling talks to my answering machine... I'm gonna be quiet.

3 Comments:

Blogger bhd said...

Dude. The machine is your tool, to do with as you please. Apologize to no one.

And take care of yourself.

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we are the same way.not a lot of unsolicted phone calls,but if you don't feel like talking to someone,so what...they'll call back.

4:52 PM  
Blogger S.A.M. Tanner said...

The answering machine has become our sneering butler at the door who says, "Wait here and I'll enquire as to whether the master (pronounced "Maaaahstar") is home.

I am appreciating that fact as I become a temporary recluse.

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
amazon.com