Sunday, February 05, 2006

So We're Done With Football... For Now

Well The Steelers won... as 'The Doctor' predicted... Now we can go back to doing other things on Monday evenings and the wives will be able to get a word in edgewise again.

I'm not a huge football fan... I like the game and I played it when I was in school.

However, I'm not a huge fan and I don't seem to get the way people become so attached to a team so that they feel that the team represents them. As far as I can see, it's an interesting assortment of professionals who will be fighting for the other team next year if the money's good enough.

I like the 49'ers I grew up in SF so they're my "home team" but my self-esteem doesn't rise and fall over who wins or how well "my" team does. I just don't understand.

Can somebody explain it to me?

5 Comments:

Blogger An Urban Femme said...

Let's skip the explanation and wait for baseball. :)

9:36 AM  
Blogger bhd said...

Hmm. How about this? Watching a game without any stake in it is not so exciting. Choosing a team to root for, for whatever reason (like you've just moved to within 100 miles of the town, and it's their first time ever in the SuperBowl, you know that sort of thing, plus the fact that since Time Immemorial you have loathed the Steelers and their freaking terrible towels) sharpens the focus a bit.

But it's also habit. In high school, did you root for your own school's team? Probably. Why? They were our classmates and friends. And let me tell you, there's no better way to syphon a little energy than to go to a HS or college sports event. You can get high off the vibes coming off those kids.

Maybe folks just like that part of it. I know I do.

10:03 AM  
Blogger S.A.M. Tanner said...

I love sports and I root for "my" team. But I don't live for it and I can look beyond the identity thing to realize that my life has little to do with those on the field.

I guess I'm just unable to get excited about mercenary armies fighting it out.

2:08 PM  
Blogger winter said...

I tend to agree, Stu. I understand rooting for a team and picking sides - but not bonding with them to the point where I'm shouting at the TV.

*baffled*

10:26 PM  
Blogger .Michael Simon said...

Well, Im a mets fan, and im also a giants fan. so as you see If I used them to support my self esteem, id long ago be on anti-depressents.. oh wait.

to give you an answer. I root for the underdog,constantly. why? Because if someone can surmount the greatest of odds, then why cant I accomplish the impossible.

some people live and die every sunday afternoon with football, or every evening with baseball. its just another event to place your heart into and out of.

whats the difference between that, and someone putting their heart into another? just as great of a risk. much longer of a game. and the ending is much more painful than a missed field goal.

and if someone doesnt have pride in themself, then they will put pride in something else. perhaps a home team? Why not.

4:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
amazon.com