Monday, April 04, 2011

My Own Personal Self-Help Book

The Art of Living In the Now / Be Here Now / The Power of Now...

These are all very popular titles to big selling books but I have a book with only one page.

"How To Live In The Now"

1. Breathe - I know it is hackneyed and trite and just on the edge of being a total cliche` but consider that it is such a cliche` because it is true! Breathe and pay attention to your breath and you will tune in very quickly to what's happening around you.

2. Forgive - Most of the time when I'm drifting away from the here/now I find it is because I am dwelling upon something done to me or another, in the past, which I am holding onto with fresh resentment. This distracts me from relaxing into the present moment. So, in order to stay healthy and stay in the moment, I have to give up on on my anger and forgive. Forgive everything, even if there doesn't seem to be a good reason for the forgiveness. You will find that the reason is that it makes us happier people. Forgiveness isn't altruistic... it is selfish and wonderfully so.

3. Love - OK, so it's nothing new, but I must say that one of the things that keeps me from staying in the now is fearing something which is coming up or which I'm afraid I will get wrong in the future or something someone is going to do to me which I'm fearing and I've found that fear is the opposite of love. Dig that? It's not hate, hate is a product of fear, you cannot hate what you don't fear and you cannot fear when you love. So... Love. It helps you stay in the moment.

4. Repeat. That's it. Simple... not really easy, but very simple. K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple, Sammy) Don't get bogged down with too much over-thinking of the subject. It's easier if you just let the moment wash over you with a minimum of furious thought.

One of my favorite posters from the 60's said, "Sometimes I sits and thinks, other times I just sits" That's the secret, learn how to become a fool without being foolish.

One page... I'm done... please purchase 4 million copies and make me rich... I'm waiting.

Love,

S.A.M. Tanner

2 Comments:

Blogger Dennis Crow said...

I love it.

9:11 PM  
Blogger S.A.M. Tanner said...

Thanks for the feedback... I try to "dethrone the dictophone - hit it in its funnybone"

Be Well,

Stu

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
amazon.com