Sunday, October 09, 2005

Is It Possible For 'Ahhhhnold' To Ruin My Favorite State?


As a fifth generation Californian, I feel that I have some rights
when I say that 'Ahhnold' is a bad governor. He is systematically
selling our state and people and the workers out to the very
private interests he promised to protect us from. I'm not a radical
leftist and I'm not particularly happy with unions but I know when
those who have power try to use it to make other's lives more
difficult and I react to that.

California has been denuded, paved-over and bought and sold
by rapacious people for too long. We need to start being kinder
to ourselves and to the very earth we live upon.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So Sweet They Call This Paradise
(California by any other name)


So sweet they call this paradise,
And were this really just a game,
It would be fair to advertise.

Set forth with expert laid advice,
As from lectern we proclaim,
How fairly won and worth the price.

This vista-pregnant paradise,
Virgo intacta we would claim.
Gentle husbanding would suffice.

In truth a stained and jaded slice,
Of crusted tart in fullest shame,
Is all that’s left of paradise.

From those who once possessed the prize,
Was stolen this with force and flame,
Dismantled lives with holy guise.

And now with stone laid down in size,
To muffle-drown this land’s exclaim,
We celebrate the compromise.

And verdant sward called paradise
In hidden glory waits reclaim,
There patient cradled in her cries,
Is fervent hope of fair assize.

Stuart Andrew Marshall Tanner

4 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Very true, Stu!

I am so glad to see that your words are out here for the world to see! It's about time that people have easy access to your intelligence, wit, and astute observations.

{{{hugs}}}

~M~

4:46 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

damn. paradise is going down? not again!! i wouldn't have voted for him.

stu. you are an amazing wordsmith. and its great to have you on my side!

cuz i am just sayin....

;-)

7:41 PM  
Blogger S.A.M. Tanner said...

It's good to have this outlet for my ideas and words... Mel, I've enjoyed your blog for ages and I'm flattered that I'm on your reading list.

'Shelle... I've missed your humor and sweetness on the 'boards lately. I hope you and Kurt are settlin' in well. We'll all get together soon, I hope.

Stu

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

California has been denuded, paved-over and bought and sold
by rapacious people for too long. We need to start being kinder
to ourselves and to the very earth we live upon.


Sounds like the areas where I've spend most of my life: northern NJ and southwest VA. The brainwashed materialistic masses keep building and paving like there's no tomorrow. *sigh*

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
amazon.com