Thursday, January 12, 2006

Musical Heroes I Have Known


Why is it that the music of this age doesn't move me the way the music I listened to as a teenager did? I don't think it's the music because there is so much good stuff out there.

I remember listening to my favorite albums in the dark and letting the music and the lyrics take me away. Now I rarely find a song which "sends" me anymore.

The only thing to move me recently is Joe Jackson's older album called "Laughter & Lust". Althought this was released ten years ago, I hadn't gotten around to listening to it until a friend gave me a copy. I took it home and found myself transported by the music. For a few minutes I felt like I was back in my old room in my parent's house. This is not the first time that Joe's music has done this for me. He's made more than a dozen albums over the years and I can put four of them now in my list of favorites. One of the things which sends me about the guy is that he seems to be a chameleon. He never sticks to one style and you can feel his show-tune and classical background. He's brave, he has never shied away from going out on a limb or making a controversial statement. His salsa album "Jumping Jive" showed that he is comfortable in almost any style and when he stuck his thumb in the eyes of MTV by refusing to make any more videos after his first one, many predicted his demise.

Well, he's still here. For a quarter of a century now he's been doing what he does best, make good music and take it to the people.

Here's to you Joe Jackson. You are one of my musical heroes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

amen to that one Stu.

He is a musical genius. I love him to. i remember walking into a record store and they were playing Night and Day, i bought it within 5 minutes of being there.

;-)

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
amazon.com