Saturday, February 25, 2006

Getting Close To Lent

Well, Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday for those who only speak English) is coming soon and then Ash Wednesday wherein we put ashes upon our forehead in order to show that we are dead to the world and eternally sorrowful for our sins (Oh God am I sorrowful!). Then we are expected to fast during Lent. No meat... No sugar... No coffee... No fun...

Really, I don't hold with the six weeks of self-deprivation which Lent represents. Not that I'm against self-deprivation for spiritual purposes but Lent is really very empty. The Christian faith is dying slowly or maybe it is just re-adjusting itself into a new configuration. Afterall, 400 years ago just posting this would have gotten me a rather nosy visit from the Office of The Inquisition. So maybe it's all just an adjustment.

In any regards I'm interested in what people who actually practice Lent are going to give up this year.



I plan on giving up cigarettes (Stuart, you don't smoke!). See how well that works??

Mazeltov!! (wink)

6 Comments:

Blogger Joseph Gallo said...

Having seen others practice this religious tradition annually since my childhood, I still don't understand how denying oneself transitory pleasures equates to sacrifice.

Giving of oneself selflessly, being of service to others with no thought or expectation of reciprocation--that is true sacrifice.

Kahlil Gibran wrote some pretty good things about Giving & Receiving in his book, The Prophet. I personally don't observe Lent, but if I did I would spend those six weeks doing some kind of charity work instead of giving up Snicker's bars.

1:05 AM  
Blogger S.A.M. Tanner said...

Thanks for your thoughts...

I am beginning to believe the term "living sacrifice" as an attitude which is more valid than practicing the traditions of Lent...

Still... It is kinda fun to kick out the jams on Mardi Gras!

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm giving up chocolate and coffee for lent. I don't think its a empty practice. I think you are a bit cynical.

Scotty

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmnnn, should I give up Radio Paradise for Lent?

1:28 AM  
Blogger An Urban Femme said...

You don't always have to give something up. You can also strive to put something good into practice like - volunteer your time, give to charity, or try and be more positive in general.

This isn't different from common sense and it shouldn't be knocked simply because it is associated with organised religion.

I'm Catholic. This Lent I'm going to try and get back in touch with my spirituality. It's an ongoing struggle, but at least I don't thrust it on anyone else but myself.

Moseltov back at you. :)

8:06 AM  
Blogger S.A.M. Tanner said...

Stephanie! You are such a mensch!! (that's a good thing!)

Big hugs for those suggestions.

But I think I'll stick to giving up cigarettes for Lent.

:wink:

Stu

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
amazon.com