Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Life: Easy As Chicken Soup


I just made a pot of chicken and vegetable soup. Delicious it is.
I am curious, however, about all the people in this world who
do not seem to be able to boil water without burning it. How
could this be? Is it fear? Is it some sort of genetic lack? Or
is it, perhaps, that they haven't been given the chance to find
out for themselves. Too many have told them how hard it is,
too many have worried about ruining their food and being told
that they are incompetant. I've always understood in my family
that if you can read, you can read a recipe and learn to cook.
My brother made a pie for a high-school pot-luck party and only
after he had the finished pie ready for people to eat was he told
that pies are hard to make. Good thing he didn't know that
before he started.

This seems to be universal. It is more than cooking wherein I
see this. I, myself, found myself stymied by website design
until I finally started to work with the web pages themselves
and found how I could imitate what others have done, steal,
patch, copy and basically fool around with the code. It is
becoming easy and I am beginning to enjoy it. I will not say
I'm competant, but at least I can fake it.

This has taught me a lesson about life... many times we just have
to "fake it 'til we make it". Don't take things too seriously. Have
fun and enjoy the laughter, even if it is pointed at you. We really
aren't such complicated creatures and life doesn't have printed
instructions so blowing it shouldn't be unexpected. Just as when
I was first learning how to work on a car, you have to expect
that sometimes you won't get it right the first time. People are
much more willing to cut you slack than you know.

Btw... I tipped the scale at 580 today.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

People are the most amazing, precious things of the universe, aren't they?

Soup looks delicious!!!!

And - WOO HOO !!
{{{hug}}}

8:13 PM  
Blogger edieraye said...

580 - that is great news!

As for the learning to cook - for me it was a matter of economics. Whatever was cooked was what I ate - whether it was any good or not. So I tended not to experiment. Now that I can afford to throw out an experiment that doesn't turn out just right, I've found cooking to be much more enjoyable. Which can be seen as a metaphor for all sorts of stuff in life. I've seen girlfriends stick with guys because they didn't think they had any options. If they threw him out they weren't sure they could get another. And how many people stay in a miserable job for fear of not finding work? We have to be willing to accept our mistakes before we have the confidence to experiment.

10:31 PM  
Blogger S.A.M. Tanner said...

Thanks Michelle... (Lotza Hugs)

Edie, you are right... the option factor is very important. I guess the trick comes down to being able separate ourselves from the immediacy of the situation so that we can let go, relax and then go for the best. If we believe we have no other options then we are incapable of positive change.

Sometimes we just have to let go and try.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
amazon.com