Thursday, October 13, 2005

I'm OK, I'm OK, I'm OK, I'm OK......(repeat as needed)



One day a man went to the doctor... he said, "Doc ya gotta help me, 'cause it hurts when I do this!" The Doctor said, "Don't do that!"

Such simple and wise advice. I am constantly finding myself wondering about that as I go through my days. I seem to suffer (as many do I'm sure) of an innate ability to beat myself up emotionally for no good reason. I will just be minding my own business; reading, listening to music, watching a movie, or cleaning my apartment; when I find that I am running some sort of scenario from my past through my head and slaggin' upon my poor soul about my shortfalls and misdeeds. It is counter-productive. It is wasteful.

It is unnecessary.

When I catch myself doing this (or as I like to say about it I am 'running a tape' upon myself) then I stop and get back into the moment. If I am obsessing about the past and worrying about the future, I'm not being real about the now. I'm forgetting to breathe. Then I get into trouble, then I start to be an asshole and bother people with neurotic behavior and I begin to hurt myself with addictive acts (such as eating a whole bag of Oreo Doublestuff cookies dipped in Hershey's Syrup) and then I end up unhappier with myself than before.

The trick, I'm beginning to see, is to just relax and be OK with me now, in the now. Then I won't find myself fatter than before and unhappy with what has happened to me and wondering how I ended up this way.

You will only be happy if you allow yourself to BE happy. Or even just allow yourself to BE.

Of course this is fine to write about but hard to remember as you obsess about the time you made an ass of yourself in college.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep...your normal! *LOL*

5:47 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

So like the Doc says, Don't do that!

wow. Stu, i am with you here. it took me 6 years to realized what i was doing to my body was disrespectful. to its existance. and that deep inside i truly did not want to live. i mean i did NOT WANT TO LIVE!

so i drowned myself in any illegal substance, alcohol or fast food i could get my hands on. Numbing evil passive torture. amazingly it took me a lot of therapy, and self help groups to get me back into my body. and here i am. lighter in spirit and wieght. and really wanting to not just live, but to live outloud!

if i can do it anyone can. Make sure to take the docs advice, and your own. stop and listen to what lies are coming out of your mouth. speak truths. put good things in so good things come out!

remain calm and centered. and call on me whenever you need a kick in the love gut!

;-)

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
amazon.com