Friday, January 20, 2006

Never Underestimate The Power Of The Meme

A friend challenged me to make a list of some things in my life...

Here it is Ryan...

Four jobs you've had:
1. Cab Driver ~ Listen phokes, I'm sure it feels good to over-tip your cabbie but unless he's gotten you away from the police or helped you save your marriage, a simple 15% is plenty. When I was a cabbie I used to be slightly contempuous of the over-tippers (though I would take their money).

2. Bartender at a high-volume singles bar... On the one hand the tips were good and I made a lot of money. On the other hand I generally had to deal with horney, desperate women at 2 AM who would "settle" for the chubby bartender 'cause he was kinda cute and they were drunk enough to excuse themselves. After the first one (when you feel kinda grateful and lucky), and the second one (when you feel kinda happy for the sex) and the third one (when you feel sorry for her) it all starts to get old...

3. Record Store Clerk/Manager ~ Tower Records... no money in it but really fun and I was in a slacker mood when I signed on. The day I knew I had to quit was the day I was straightening up the CD's in the Rock section and overheard a 15 year-old say to her friend, "Did you know that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?". I remember getting very drunk that night.

4. Chef/Cook/Sous Chef ~ Too many places to name. The last day as a cook was when I came to work and found that the IRS had padlocked the restaurant. Siezure... A lot of the equipment in the kitchen was mine too... I lost it all. Sometimes I wish I'd had a passion for programming.

Four places you've lived:
1. Palo Alto, CA (yeah... I know... Yuppie Scum from Yuppieville! But I swear it wasn't that bad when I was a kid! We had a Woolworth's and everything! Later, the money poured in and sensible hometown was drowned in an influx of Yuppies...)
2. San Francisco, CA ~ During College (SF State) and then Chef School after I dropped out of college and then when I worked in my first two restaurants.
3. Monterey, CA (and Pacific Grove & Seaside etc.) I lived on the Peninsula for 6 miserable years.
4. South Lake Tahoe ~ It was a good place to work on my craps technique.




Four websites you visit daily:
1. RadioParadise.com (what's there to say? best music stream on the web)
2. iwon.com (I'm a sucker for free giveaways ~ besides they have news and a good trivia game)
3. Wikipedia.com (yeah... I know... strange geeks who read Wikipedia for fun are weird!)
4. netflix.com (I'm trying to rate all the movies I've seen... I'm at about 7,000 and counting)

Four television shows you love to watch:
1. Gilmore Girls (it's almost like a melodrama, but the humor and weirdness save it from that)
2. Dead Like Me (only reason to subscribe to HBO there is)
3. Grey's Anatomy (Katherine Heigl (pant, pant)!!!!)
4. House, M.D. ~ (Hugh Laurie is funny... you almost like the asshole)

Four of your favorite foods:
1. Evaporate Milk (I cannot explain it, I drink it from the can)
2. Beef
3. Sushi
4. Breakfast Burritos (a good one ~ and they're hard to find sometimes ~ can save a bad day)


Four albums you can't live without (at least for the moment):

1. Nick Drake ~ Pink Moon
2. Steely Dan ~ The Royal Scam
3. Yes ~ Tales From Topographic Oceans (yeah... I know... weird Prog Rock... but I LOVE it!)
4. David Wilcox ~ Home Again (or any of his albums... he never ceases to make me cry)

Four places you'd rather be:
1. Downtown Reno (with money to burn)
2. Big Sur, CA
3. Central Park, Manhattan
4. Sailing... (preferably over warm water)

OK... there's the list... TAG! YER IT!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You left out Norway Stu,...Norway!

10:08 PM  
Blogger S.A.M. Tanner said...

I'd love to go to Norway... but only if there are three 20 year old, blond, blue eyed bombshell Norwegian girls ready to take me on a tour of the sights and beauties of their native country...

(Don't blame me, I got if from Penthouse Letters)

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
amazon.com