Sunday, March 05, 2006

Thoughts On Punishment / Red Rain


I once was going to be punished for something I had done which was perceived as a punishable offence. I remember the lecture I was getting and the explanation of how this was for my own good etc. The only thing I remember going through my head was the words, "Let's just get this over with."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Red Rain is one of my favorite songs. I was reminded of this while listening to the radio today. Peter Gabriel has been delving into his darker regions and mining his dreams for the gold of musical expression. It's great to listen to this while I sit and watch the rare California rain come down.

Well I've seen them buried in a sheltered place in this town.
They tell you that this rain can sting, and look down.
There is no blood around see no sign of pain,
ayayay - no pain.
Seeing no red at all, seeing no rain.

Red rain is coming down
red rain.
Red rain is pouring down,
pouring down all over me.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The strangest thing is that after reading stuff about global warming, the coming apocalypse and the age of diseases and pain which all these "prophets" have said will happen and only one thing goes through my mind,

I say to myself, "Let's just get this over with."

6 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I'll wait for the fat lady.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stu,

To me,
Life passes by too quickly..
I don't want the days to end.I stay up late, cause I don't want to miss anything......It rains alot around here, so when the sun comes out.. I get so excited ...I've found that if I'm in a dreary mood, I just hang on, wait a little bit, then my joy usually comes right back..
Much love and many hugs

6:16 AM  
Blogger An Urban Femme said...

Red rain...I just can't equate punishment to that song. :)

7:48 AM  
Blogger S.A.M. Tanner said...

Red rain is (to me) the blood of the sky, falling within a dream of the apocalypse.

It's not about punishment, but so many "Born Again" christians talk about how God is going to punish this evil world and so there is that connection.

I think about Red Rain when I think about how life is going and ice caps melting.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Well, I do not wish you Red Rain, Stu.

I'm in no hurry for the world to end anytime soon Botwithstanding the fact that Fiddler on the Roof is on...)

So I'll just wish you some green and blue rain. Purple rain if you are feeling especially funky.

*hug*

12:36 PM  
Blogger Joseph Gallo said...

One of my all time favorite songs too, Stu.
A cry against the injustice in the world;
a potent and lyrical psalm against man's inhumanity to man.

"And I can't watch anymore
No more denial
It's so hard to lay down in all of this
Red rain coming down . . ."

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
amazon.com